Costs and Financial Aid
Below are the estimated costs of the 2023 Summer Scholars program for 6 Credits.
|Virginia resident||Non-Virginia resident|
|Tuition and fees*||$3,340||$7,918|
|Dining and Housing**||$1,995||$1,995|
|Arts majors||add $690||add $690|
|Business majors||add $119||add $119|
|Engineering majors||add $516||add $642|
|Tier One Humanities and Sciences majors||add $66||add $66|
|Tier Two Humanities and Sciences majors||add $18||add $18|
|Tier Three Humanities and Sciences majors||add $6||add $6|
|Education majors||add $24||add $24|
|Social Work majors||add $54||add $54|
|Health Professions majors||add $215||add $215|
|University College majors||add $6||add $6|
|Life Sciences majors||add $30||add $30|
|L. D. Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs majors||add $6||add $6|
*Fees include University Fee, Activity Fee, Technology Fee, Library Fee, Transition Fee, Capital Outlay Fee and Academic Support Fee. Additional program fees are charged based on the student’s major and should be added to the total above. Tuition is charged at a per-credit-hour rate.
Tier one applies to Health, Physical Education & Exercise Sciences, Health Sciences, Forensic Science, Chemistry, Biology, Science, and Physics majors. Tier two applies to Spanish-English Translation & Interpretation, Foreign Language, Anthropology, Mathematical Sciences, Undeclared-Humanities & Sciences, Psychology, and Mass Communication majors.
Tier three applies to English, International Studies, Liberal Studies for Early & Elementary Education, Philosophy, Political Science, Gender, Sexuality & Women Studies, Sociology, History, Religious Studies, African American Studies, and Pre-Nursing majors.
**Dining charges include 50 Swipe Meals and $100 Dining Dollars
Financial aid and Summer Scholars
Scholarships are available for participating students.
Students interested in receiving financial aid for Summer Scholars must submit a 2022-2023 FAFSA even if they have submitted a 2023-2024 FAFSA for the upcoming academic year. Financial aid eligibility for the Summer 2023 semester is calculated using the 2022-2023 FAFSA. The deadline to submit the 2022-2023 FAFSA is June 30, 2023.
Your Student Bill and Making Payments
Payment Due Date
Summer Scholars will receive a special billing statement shortly after June 20, 2023, with a payment deadline of July 20, 2023. The 2023 billing dates will be updated soon.
Financial Aid and Scholarship Awards
The Office of Financial Aid Office cannot disburse summer awards until two days after students start classes. Students should deduct their anticipated financial aid and/or scholarship awards from their bill and submit their payment for the difference by July 20, 2023. If the anticipated awards exceed or pay the balance, the student is not required to make an out-of-pocket payment; however, it is the students’ responsibility to ensure that their financial awards pay their student account balance.
Assigning Authorized Users
Students may grant access to their parents and/or other parties to view and pay their eStatements (the online billing statement) by assigning them as Authorized Users in the Billing and Payment site. Authorized Users may receive email notifications when eStatements are generated, view eStatements, and make online payments on behalf of the student.
NOTE: Authorized User access allows access to the Billing and Payment site only. Students must complete the FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) Consent Form to grant parents the right to contact VCU offices on behalf of the student. The FERPA Consent Form is available online at go.vcu.edu/ferpa.
How to Assign Authorized Users:
Log in to the myVCU portal available at my.vcu.edu. Select the View/Pay Student Bill option under “General Resources” and then:
- Select the “Authorized Users” tab under My Account in the separate Billing and Payment site.
- Enter the email address(es) for those individuals who should be assigned Authorized User access.
- Once assigned, the Authorized User will receive an email with a temporary password. Authorized Users will access the Billing and Payment site.
- Students can access and pay their eStatements online through eServices.
- To make an online payment students should login into eServices with their eID and password and make the following selections: Student > Student account > Make a payment > eStatements
- Cash, credit cards, and check payments (paper and web) are accepted.
- Credit cards accepted are VISA, MasterCard, Discover Card, and American Express. A nonrefundable convenience fee is charged for all credit card payments and credit card payments may be made online only.
- Paper checks may be mailed to the address on the remittance advice (payment slip) on the bottom of the detailed invoice.
- Cash or paper check payments may also be remitted in-person at the VCU Cashier’s Office in the Harris Hall Student Services Center, located at 1015 Floyd Ave., on the1st Floor. The Cashier’s Office hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Please note that the VCU Student Accounting Department does not recommend using your bank’s bill pay option because it does not allow for the remittance advice (payment slip) to be included with the payment, which may lead to delays or errors in the application of the payment to the student’s account.
Students and Authorized Users are encouraged to pay online through the VCU Billing and Payment site.