Welcome to Summer Scholars
Summer Scholars is an exciting five-week program that gives students a head start on their path to VCU, graduation and beyond! Students take classes, earn credits and build a group of close friends before the start of the fall semester. It's a great chance to get familiar—and comfortable—with VCU and the Richmond community.
Benefits of starting college in the summer:
You'll take classes, earn credits and build a group of close friends before starting your first semester in the fall.
This program is by invitation only. Class size is limited.
As a Summer Scholar, you will:
- Get ahead by earning six credits that count towards your degree requirements
- Form lasting relationships with other Summer Scholars
- Acquire “college knowledge” from the peer mentors
- Explore and get to know the VCU campus and surrounding community
- Build connections with professors and administrators
- Enter a supportive community that you’ll be a part of through graduation
Why do students take summer classes?
- Save money by finishing on time or in under four years.
- Add summer minors or a second major and still graduate on time or early
- Reduce fall and spring course loads to add an internship or to give tough classes more attention
- Get to know your professors better in smaller class sizes. They're cool!